Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vinegar Coleslaw


I always get excited about recipes that my family loves. Bryan will not eat anything with mayonnaise it. My friend Cally gave me this recipe for coleslaw that I hoped would be a winner.
Here is the recipe- I don't know the name. I made a few small changes to the original.

1 head cabbage shredded
1 carrot grated
1 finely chopped onion (I use a small onion)
3/4 c. vinegar
3/4 c. oil
1 T. salt
1 T. celery seed
1/2 c. sugar ( I use 2/3 c.)

In a large bowl combine cabbage and carrot. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Turn on heat and bring to a boil. I boil it just for about a min. to slightly soften the onion. Take off heat and immediately pour over cabbage and carrot. Set a plate on top big enough to cover the bowl and set in fridge 24 hrs. Before serving separate coleslaw from dressing with a slotted spoon and transfer into serving dish. Pair this up with your favorite wrap or sandwich. We tried it as a topping for a BBQ beef sandwich. Devour. :o)


3 comments:

Pam said...

I almost called you Tuesday night to see if you could bring this for the lunch and play yesterday because I made pulled bbq pork and thought how your coleslaw would compliment the meat. My mouth is literally salivating right now thinking how yummy it is. Thanks for sharing

Patty Sampson said...

Oohhh!! Looks Yummy!! Thanks for the recipe. I love your cooking, and having this one be recommended by your family gives it extra coolness in my book.

Miss you!

emily a. said...

Yummmmm! We're not mayonnaise fans either and am a big fan of this type of coleslaw. I'll give it a try for sure. I'm loving your posts.