Sunday, March 22, 2009

West to East to.....Heaven??

I never thought I would live in Montana, or Philadelphia. But I have. When Bryan told me that he was offered a full ride scholarship to Montana State University in Bozeman, I should have been more excited. I pictured horse drawn buggies. Boy was I naive. Our time spent there was more that just an education. We made many life long friends, I had the chance to get to know Bryan's side of the family better, being that both of his parents are from the beautiful state with the endless BIG skies! And, we had our little girl, Alyssa, there. Early 2004, after three years, Bryan had to practically pry me away.

When Bryan was applying to schools that spring, options in Pennsylvania kept popping up. When Bryan was wait listed to a school in Erie, we waited and waited.....for a year. Another season to apply for medical school, once again, found us wait listed. I was so confused. Erie, being very far away from home, found contentment in my soul. There was something pulling me that direction.....but we had to come up with "Plan B." Bryan was taken by podiatry, a specialty that still allowed him to treat people and do surgery. He shadowed a podiatrist and this particular doctor, who did not go to Temple University for his training, strongly recommended to Bryan that he should go there if the opportunity arose. Bryan came home and told me he was going to apply. I asked him where Temple was, his response, "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania." At that moment, there was no question in my mind that he would be a podiatrist and attend that school. I just knew it. He applied to the school. They offered him an interview. This was his first and last interview, being that he cancelled the other two because after 4 days of meeting with him, they called to offer his acceptance. All this was achieved in one months time. I have never questioned if Bryan was supposed to go into podiatry. Living in Philly and watching him per sue his career has been very rewarding for him and our family. Once again, we find ourselves moving forward so he can do his three year surgical residency. I am so sad to be leaving here. And where are we going exactly?

The gorgeous picture above is a lake called Lake St. Clair, just off the Michigan shore near Detroit. We are moving to the Detroit suburbs! Bryan matched to do his residency at Southeast Michigan Hospital, formerly known as the Kern program. This was the first podiatric surgical hospital/program in the country and more podiatrist have come from this program than from any other in the country. This news did not come crisp and clear to me like our Philly experience. In fact, it was far off of my radar. Everything I was feeling took my mind far from the possibility of Michigan. Now that the shock has worn off, Byran and I are looking forward to all that the program entails. We have recognized that going there offers many opportunities for him and our family. I am very excited for my next adventure, and I am proud of Bryan for all that he has accomplished!!

9 comments:

Tawni Williams said...

Oh congratulations!! That is such a stressful time just WAITING - now you get to have the joy of planning - and that is fun. I'm so happy for you guys - Sad you won't be closer, but as you mentioned - obviously there is a purpose to where you two have been living. CONGRATS!

Elaine said...

Yeah, Tricia.I am happpy for you guys. Any move will be an adventure and it sounds like a great place to be. And as Stuart just pointed out, there are direct flights from Detroit to SLC every day!:-)

Sierra Parke said...

I am so happy for you guys and so envious that Bryan is done!!!!!!! That is so cool. However, I am totally going to miss you guys. I'm so thankful for you and the huge help you were to our family when we moved back here.

emily a. said...

St. Regis will NOT be the same without you 4 1/2.

dan and linds said...

It's amazing to look back and forward and see the paths our lives take, thanks for sharing your journey! You guys are awesome, those people in Detroit are lucky to get you! But we are sad to lose you :(

Amy said...

Wow. That is spectacular! So beautiful. I am not sure if you ever will be able to make it down here to Texas after that. But it would be fun to be close. I actually am not expecting- but I'll be sure to let you know when I am.

mallena said...

I knew you could make this into a positive thing. :) I'm so happy that you're looking forward to your new adventure and that you at least you know where you'll be living. I'm sure the waiting was the hardest. Have you found a place to live. I can't believe you guys are moving in about three months. When we left if felt like you still had a ways to go---even though it was just months at the time.

As Elaine pointed out, there are direct flights to SLC all the time, and SLC is only a short drive to Rexburg! MISS YOU TONS!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The picture is very beautiful, I would love to go there right now. Sounds like it will be a great move!

The Cobells said...

That is so exciting! I am so happy for you guys. Your kids are growing up so much.