Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Blast to the Past- Part II

September was a challenging month. Bryan had been gone for one month and he still had one to go. Alyssa started the first grade and lost her very first tooth. Bryan returned home with a few days left in September to spend one month with us until he had to leave again!! From the first of November until Christmas Eve, we didn't see him. Much of my blogging abandonment came as a result of my loneliness, sickness, lack of energy or excitement, and protecting my family safety. I didn't want any one to know he was not with us, and that is really all I could think about. In that time we were faced with some bumps in the road. Two days after Bryan left, I lost my appetite completely. Within the week, both of the kids got strep throat, and I couldn't stop coughing. Antibiotics got rid the strep, but my cough became worse. By the middle of November, Alyssa didn't seem better, and my cough was out of control. Back to the pediatrician. She had pneumonia. Anitbiotics. After Thanksgiving, I couldn't take my cough any more. To the practitioner I went. Pneumonia. Antibiotics. She said to me....do you have any help at home? I wanted to curl up and die. I was miserable. How was I supposed to help my daughter when I could barely function myself? We were scheduled to fly to Utah on the 17th of Dec. to visit family. On the 13th, my breathing became so bad that I couldn't explain to the nurse what was wrong. She told me to go to the ER. My oxygen was low. After a couple of hours, I was sent home with a z-pack and an inhaler......sweet relief! On the 15th, back to the doctor for Alyssa, who was showing NO signs of improvement. Her stomach aches were worsening and her cough was awful. He ordered an x-ray for the next day. Guess what?....Pneumonia.....AGAIN! Poor thing. At this point I was wondering if life would ever be any different.....Bryan was gone and we were sick. That was all I had known for 7 weeks. I kept telling myself, "just one more day" then to Utah we'd go. We left to the airport with a very sick Alyssa in tow. She threw up in the car most of the way there. She remained lethargic for a few days after we arrived. Finally, on the 24th, we got our Favorite guy back. (I thought September was a challenge....what was I thinking?)

~Some More of My Favorite Things~
Sporting her new bag, Alyssa is ready for the first grade! She got the teacher she hoped for, Mr. Bach.

Before Halloween. Bryan and I took the kids to Shadybrook Farms for a hayride to the pumpkin patch. Alyssa found her favorite! It's a big one!

Mason wanted an equally big one. He FINALLY found his after running off a thousand times picking out pumpkins that had been eaten by animals or that had big cracks in them.....this one would do.

Bryan sporting his new "look". 40 lbs. lighter. Good thing he was there to haul back those big pumpkins.

There is the long story short......but I left out the endless counts of those who helped us see through it. I had to save that for last because it's so great it deserved a place of it's own. We had many meals brought in by friends who were aware of what was going on. I had friends clean my home several times. One couple came for family night just to clean the house. Trust me.....IT WAS BAD! Some grocery shopped, others cleaned my car, several took Mason while Alyssa and I went back to the doctor. Even though I didn't have Bryan, and even though we were as sick as we were, I would do it all again if I had to. It taught me compassion and humility. This was a very humbling experience for me. I didn't even have to swallow my pride, I had already coughed it up! I received many blessings for the health of the baby and for our recovery. I also was told how angels would be present. I can attest that each person who helped, was indeed, the specified Angel. Words can't ever express my gratitude. Thank you a million times over! And I am so happy to have Bryan home for good. Aside from his interviews in Chicago......but that's only 2 nights.....totally do-able! I'll catch up with Christmas later.

8 comments:

emily a. said...

We're so glad life is a million times better now. We love you guys!

Shilowe said...

Despite everything you've been through in the past 6 months, I had not once seen you without a smile on your face and the kind words you spoke. That, to me, is an inspiration! Thank you for your example of courage, determination and willingness to serve despite your trials. I truly hope that life continues to improve now that Bryan is back. You deserve it!

andersons said...

I love that things have gotten back to normal for you (and that you are blogging again)!

Doug and Mallena said...

I'm glad you're blogging again, but most of all I'm glad Bryan's back. I don't think I could have moved if he was still going to be gone. :)

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Yeah for "blast to the Past!" Everyone was so willing to help you out because you are so quick to help others out when needed, so it's just pay back for all the wonderful things that you have done for everyone! I guess it's good to have the B man back(j/k)!

Emily H said...

That is awful. I am glad you finally got over it and had lots of help! Next time your in Utah though we need to get together so we can formally Meet!

Tawni Williams said...

OH sad! That is just not fun at all... I'm so happy that he is back!!!

dan and linds said...

Tricia, you are so strong! I still can't believe everything you went through. You really are such a great example. And Natalie's right, you've done so much for all of us, it was about time we got to do something for you :) Nothing can beat having your hubby back, though!