I have a good friend from church (Consuelo) from Columbia. Every function we have she makes her famous empanadas. Being that I want to take some culture with us when we leave here, I asked her if she would teach me how to make them. She took the time to teach Elaine, Mallena, and I how to make them. What a labor of LOVE! They are very time consuming and delicious! When I made them with Consuelo they were awful....looking. I wanted to try making them by myself while it was still fresh on my mind, so last week for the 4th of July, I did! It was so much work, but it was so much fun. If you like to cook, it was great therapy! So, thank you Consuelo for teaching me how to make your empanadas while teaching me about your culture! Who knew I'd ever have any use for a yucca! This will be a tradition I pass on and hopefully keep it going in my own family!

The filling...Potatoes, cilantro, scallions, seasonings, peppers!

The SiZzLe.....of course they have to be deep fried!!

The finished product!

The Dip, less the mashed up avocado that goes in right before you serve it! OOOOHHH!!
7 comments:
SO SO SO yummy. Maybe I'll have to have you teach me again too.
Blast it all, that was the one and only thing I wanted Amanda to learn when we lived there and did she ever do it. NO! Hells Bells, what have I got to do to get an Empanada around here!
yummy, they were very good! You are such a great cook! I am drooling just thinking about them.
ohhh yummy! i love anything with cilantro in it =)
i actually don't think i have EVER had one of her empanadas!!! probably because by the time we get up to the food table at church they are all gone!!!
i would love to learn how to make those also. can you post the recipe? or you can just invite me over next time you make them.. i like that idea even better because you know food always tastes better when someone else makes it =)
Yes please, I'll take some more. Wow, my mouth is salivating like a St. Bernard. Did you write the recipe down in your own words? I think it may be time I tried these on my own---especially with you living next door so I can scream for help. :)
How come I never asked her to teach me? Looks like you did an awsome job Tricia. Can you post the recipe and how to make them since I am all the way in CA? By the way...your family pics are way cute!!!
Post a Comment